ESS 495 - NASA Space Grant Seminar: Rocks-n-Stars
Time: Thursdays 2:30-3:20
This course is credit/no credit. Students of all
levels and backgrounds are welcome. There are no prerequisites for this course.
Room: Johnson 102
Instructor: Dr. Erika Harnett (Earth and Space Sciences)
Email: eharnett at ess.washington.edu
Note: To access the questions for each week, visit the home page of the Canvas site for this class.
Questions will not be handed out in class. You must
bring them with you.
Tentative Speaker List for Spring 2015 and Weekly Questions
- April 2: Elena Spohia Amador - University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences
"What can the surface of Mars tells us about ancient habitability?"
- April 9: Keon Vereen - University of Washington Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
"Plasma Tweezers Concept to De-Sping an Asteroid"
- April 16: Alexis Harroun - University of Washington Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
"My NASA Internship"
- April 23: Matt Tilley - University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences
- April 30: Paul Sturmer - University of Washington Physics
- May 7: Dr. Tim Ziemba - Eagle Harbor Technologies
"In Space Propulsion"
- May 14: Nao Murakami - University of Washington Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering
"High Powered Helicon Plasma Thrusters"
- May 21: Chad Truitt - University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences
"Sample Return from an Asteroid or Moon"
- May 28: Dr. Jonathan Toner - University of Washington Earth and Space Science
"Salts on Mars"
- June 4: Final Quiz - This is the last day of class, not during finals week.
Raw scores for final quiz Evaluation
To receive credit for the course you needed to
get at least half of the question on the final quiz correct. There will be
25-30 questions on the quiz. The quiz is based on questions each
speaker answers during their talk. It will be multiple choice and you must
bring a standard (scantron) answer form with you to record your answers on.
The quiz is closed book/closed notes
Videos of each talk will be available on the course Canvas site, via Panopto.
Please be warned that while we will do everything in our power to ensure
high quality videos are available for each seminar, the nature of the shared
lecture hall means that sometimes microphones do not work or are just missing.
In those cases, audio may not be available.
Previous Years' Speaker list
Last modified: Wed May 16 14:23:26 PDT 2012