ESS 495 - NASA Space Grant Seminar: Rocks-n-Stars
Time: Tuesdayss 2:30-3:20
This course is credit/no credit. Students of all
levels and backgrounds are welcome. There are no prerequisites for this course.
Room: Johnson 102
Instructor: Dr. Erika Harnett (Earth and Space Sciences)
Email: eharnett at uw.edu
Note: To access the questions for each week, visit the home page of the Canvas site for this class.
Questions will not be handed out in class. You must
bring them with you.
Tentative Speaker List for Spring 2017
- March 27:Paige Northway - University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences
"Rockets and cubesats"
- April 3: Chloe Hart - Earth and Space Sciences
"Microbes in rocks"
- April 10: Guadalupe Tovar - University of Washington Astronomy & Astrobiology
- April 17: TBA - University of Washington TBA
- April 24: Dr. Jessica Werk - University of Washington Astronomy
"Evolution of the Universe"
- May 1: TBA - University of Washington TBA
- May 8: Dr. James Robert Authur Davenport - University of Washington Astronomy
- May 15: Dr. Fang-Zhen Tang - University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences
"Life in Extreme environments"
- May 22: Dr. Harry Stern - University of Washington Applied Physics Lab
"Sea ice, climate change and the Northwest Passage"
- May 29: Final Quiz - This is the last day of class, not during finals week.
Raw scores for final quiz
To receive credit for the course you needed to
get at least half of the question on the final quiz correct. There will be
25-30 questions on the quiz. The quiz is based on questions each
speaker answers during their talk. It will be multiple choice and you must
bring a standard (scantron) answer form with you to record your answers on.
The quiz is closed book/closed notes
Videos of each talk will be available on the course Canvas site, via Panopto.
Please be warned that while we will do everything in our power to ensure
high quality videos are available for each seminar, the nature of the shared
lecture hall means that sometimes microphones do not work or are just missing.
In those cases, audio may not be available. Some speakers may also reserve their
right to not have the lecture filmed. Students will be notified in advance in that
Previous Years' Speaker list
Last modified: Wed May 16 14:23:26 PDT 2012